News and Updates
The LDS Family Travel Guide: Sharon, Palmyra and Kirtland and The LDS Family Travel Guide: Independence, Nauvoo and Winter Quarter were both updated for the 2016 printing. For many of the difficult to find sites, we have added GPS coordinates. Other changes and updates in the guidebooks include:
The LDS Family Travel Guide:
Sharon, Palmyra and Kirtland
- Removed Antiqued Inn Time B&B from discounts.
- Updated information about the Tunbridge Store.
South Bainbridge (Afton), New York
- Updated information on how to schedule a tour of the Joseph Knight Home.
- Updated information on the Afton Historical Society Museum.
Harmony (Oakland), Pennsylvania
- This entire chapter has been rewritten and now includes the Priesthood Restoration sites which were dedicated in September 2015.
- Added nearby restaurant and lodging suggestions.
Fayette, New York
- Added information about LDS owned Seneca Lake Camp.
Palmyra, New York
- Added information on Erie Canal Depot Museum.
- Removed lodging options: Quality Inn Finger Lakes Region and Econo Lodge Canandaigua. They both need refreshing.
- Removed B&B at Oliver Phelps from discounts.
- Added several restaurant options located near the Kirtland Temple.
- Preservation fee is now $5 per person to tour the Kirtland Temple.
- Updated information on musical production "This is Kirtland".
- Added information about Rothenbuhler Cheese Chalet in the Amish community of Middlefield.
The LDS Family Travel Guide:
Independence, Nauvoo and Winter Quarters
- Updated DVD list to reflect new releases.
- Entrance to the museum in the Community of Christ Temple is now by appointment only.
- The Jackson County Courthouse/Truman Courtroom is open again.
- Added El Pico, a Mexican restaurant on Independence Square.
- Removed Serendipity B&B from discounts.
- Eden Bookshop has closed.
Far West, Missouri
- The Charles Rich 1837 Log House has been dismantled and is no longer on site. It is being refurbished and current plans are to relocate it at the Far West Country Store.
- Our Amish friend, Mary Graber, is now doing tours of her farm (for a fee).
- Poosey's Edge Bed & Breakfast has been added to discounts.
- Becky Thatcher Home has been renovated and free tours are available.
- Removed Hannibal Inn and Conference Center from discounts. (It needs refreshing.)
- "The Promise", a free musical performance, has replaced "High Hopes and River Boats."
- Added new information about the History Museum in Quincy.
- Old Nauvoo Christmas and Gifts & Sew Inspired has closed.
- Zion's Pantry has closed.
- Webers Kitchen has closed.
- D & J Catering is no longer in business.
- Duck's Red Fox Foods has new ownership and is now called Nauvoo Market.
- We have removed Nauvoo Family Inn & Suites from our discounts/book. This property is for sale and the cleanliness and upkeep of the lodging has gone downhill. We can no longer recommend it.
- We have removed Super 8 Motel in Fort Madison. It needs a refresh.
- Kountry Klassics B&B is no longer in business.
- We have updated information on the Ramus Meetinghouse site.
Winter Quarters, Nebraska
- The musical production "Come Home to Kanesville" is no longer performed.
About The Author
- We now have 9 amazing grandchildren, instead of 6. Wahoo!